Silver-Haired Bat

The other day, I came across a bat in the road that I thought was dead, lying face down under one of our main bridges. I went to move him to a better resting place, when I realized he was breathing rapidly. I wondered if he’d been knocked from his perch under the bridge that is under long-term construction. I found an empty triangle sandwich container left on the construction site and a large leaf, and went back to the little fallen bat. I tried nudging him with the leaf, and he tensed up at my touch, but didn’t move. Then I simply asked out loud, “Can you get into the container, little one?” He opened his mouth, and a tiny sound came out, and he climbed into the container. I covered him up with the leaf to shield his eyes from the light and to protect my hands from handling him in case he had rabies or tried to scratch or bite. I met up with my husband who called the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, got their information so I could take the bat in to be seen. We found a small box at work that I lined with paper towels, and the bat went into the box without a fuss. At that point, I got a glimpse of his cute tiny eyes that seemed shiny and clear. He looked at me with the cutest little face. His little feet seemed ok because he scrabbled a little as we walked. I let my boss and co-worker know what I was doing, and Hubby wrote out the directions to the rehab center for me. It was easy to find and I surrendered the little guy into caring hands. I filled out a questionnaire and a special sheet on bats (was anyone bitten, who was exposed, etc) and gave a donation. The guy said it was unusual to see silver-winged bats around the city, that usually they get brown bats. He said they normally let the animals rest for about 20 minutes before they examine them so they can relax a bit. I asked about what they would do if he was able to be released, and he said that since he’s a tree bat, they’d release him out back where there are lots of trees. I was sad to say goodbye to the little furry one, but glad to have been able to bring him into a caring facility with knowledgeable people that will try to help him. I am hoping the bat, that I’ve started calling Pinkus, can make a full recovery. They had a link on their website to get status updates on patients brought in, so I sent an email asking if they could email me any information they can. I’m anxiously awaiting a response, and hoping it will be good news.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s